Candy Cane Cookies
Recipe Courtesy Sandra Lee
- 1 box sugar cookie mix
- ½ stick butter, melted
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup softened cream cheese
- ½ cup all-purpose flour, plus additional for surface
- red food coloring
- 1½ teaspoons peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a bowl, combine sugar cookie mix, melted butter, egg, cream cheese, and flour; mix together to form dough.
- Separate dough into 2 equal portions and place in 2 different bowls.
- Add red food coloring gradually to 1 bowl of dough, kneading together until desired shade of red is created.
- To second bowl of uncolored dough, add peppermint extract and knead together.
- On a floured work surface, shape each dough into balls and then roll each ball into ¼-inch-wide ropes, each about 6 inches long.
- For each cookie,carefully twist some of the red and white ropes of dough together and shape into a candy cane.
- Spread candy canes out on cookie sheets and bake on the top shelf of the oven for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack to cool before serving.