Caldo de Fideo
- Boil potatoes & beans until lightly cooked, separate from cooking water and set aside.
- Combine , beans, Onion, carrot, salt Pork, and salt in large soup pot and simmer.
- In separate frying pan lightly sautee noodle in olive oil until slightly browned in some parts and add to soup pot to simmer. This action enforces a kind of strong al-dente result when the noodles are later boiled. Grind Aji with a bit of tomatoe for moisture into a fine paste and add to soup pot.
- Simmer in soup pot until Pasta is almost cooked, add potatoes and continue to simmer until Pasta and potatoes are both cooked.
- This soup was a wonderful treat in the evening when temperatures plunged and the skies sparkeled in the thin mountain air.
- I cannot fail to mention that the taste of this soup is aided by being cooked on an open wood flame – the rich smoke combines with the salt Pork to produce much of its savoury flavor.