Cabbage Rolls Paprika
Fruit & Vegetable Recipes I by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 4 (2 cabbage rolls each)
- 8 large cabbage leaves
- 2½ cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh onion
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- ¼ pound chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Cook cabbage leaves in boiling water, covered, for 6 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Mix together the chicken, onion, celery, mushroom, garlic, salt and thyme. Stir in egg.
- Place ½ cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each cabbage leaf.
- Fold sides of the leaf towards center, over filling, and then fold and overlap ends to make a small bundle.
- Fasten with wooden picks. Place in 13x9x2 inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Blend in flour, sour cream, and paprika and then gradually stir in chicken broth.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Pour sauce over cabbage rolls.
- Cover and bake in 350°F oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove picks to serve.