From "Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group"
- Source: Forbidden Foods Diabetic Cooking
- Yield: 16 servings
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup Dutch-process cocoa
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp dark corn syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Spray an 8x8-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a heavy, medium saucepan, combine the bittersweet chocolate and the oil; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the chocolate is completely melted, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the applesauce, sugars, corn syrup, and vanilla; beat until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Add the egg whites and continue beating until the sugar is dissolved, 1 minute more.
- Add the reserved flour mixture and stir gently until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Spread evenly in the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out nearly clean, with a few fudgy crumbs, about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Cool completely on a rack before cutting.
Per serving (1 brownie):
- 92 Calories | 4g Total Fat | 0mg Cholesterol | 67mg Sodium | 16g Carbs | 2g Protein
- Diabetic exchanges: 1 carbohydrate | ½ fat
- "Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends