Boston Baked Rice and Beans
Makes 6 servings.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 x 15-ounce cans pinto beans, undrained
- 3 cups cooked rice
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ cup catsup
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium-low heat until partially cooked. Remove bacon; drain off all but 2 tablespoons fat.
- Add onion to skillet and cook until soft but not brown.
- Stir in beans, rice, sugar, salt, pepper, catsup, mustard and liquid smoke.
- Turn into greased 2- to 3-quart baking dish; arrange bacon slices on top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 °F for 30 to 35 minutes.