Biscoitos de Maizena
Cornstarch Cookies. These cookies are so light they melt in your mouth. They are a great favorite of Brazilians. They're called Maizena cookies because that's the brand name for cornstarch in Brazil. These are made with cornstarch only. There are other recipes that use flour also.
For cornstarch and coconut cookies see Sequilhos de coco.
- Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Sift cornstarch, sugar and salt together, mix the egg and blend in the butter.
- Knead well.
- Let stand ten to fifteen minutes.
- Use a cookie press to drop them on a greased cookie sheet if you want to make cookies in different shapes. Alternately, you can shape the dough into balls in the palm of your hand and drop them onto the greased cookie sheet.
- Use the tines on a fork to make grooves on the cookies. They look really pretty that way.
- Some people like to shape the cookies into really tiny balls, others prefer them bigger.
- Bake for about seven minutes, depending on how big you make them.
- Let cool and serve with a wonderful cup of Brazilian coffee in the afternoon.