Greek Stuffed Hamburgers.
- Makes 5 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ medium onion, finely diced
- 1 egg white or 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley or ½ teaspoon dried
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium tomato
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- parsley sprigs for garnish
- Place ground beef in a bowl.
- Add onion and egg white and mix with your hands.
- Add parsley, oregano, cumin, garlic salt and pepper.
- Mix, then divide into 5 portions.
- Slice 5 thin slices of tomato.
- Cut remainder into wedges or thick slices.
- Slice feta into 5 thin slices.
- Divide the meat into 5 portions, then divide each portion into 2 pieces.
- Flatten each piece into a very thin patty.
- Top 1 patty with a slice of tomato and a slice of feta.
- Top with another patty. Gently seal edges so cheese won't leak out.
- Repeat with remaining patties.
- Brush grill with olive oil and cook burgers slowly over medium heat until insides are thoroughly cooked (or fry burgers in a pan in olive oil).
- Serve with sliced tomato, parsley sprigs and tzatziki sauce.
Calories 395, Fat 32 g, Carbs 6 g, Sodium 412 mg, Fiber 1 g.
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/