Beet and Buttermilk Soup
This great canadian soup is good for the winterdays, healthy and tasty ! A fine piece of canadian life ! This glorious pink soup is delicious with traditional dill or fresh coriander.
- Makes 6 servings.
- 5 beets, (1¼ lbs)
- 3 cups buttermilk
- ¾ cup chopped green onions
- ⅔ cup light sour cream
- 2 tbl chopped fresh dill or coriander, (or 2 tsp. dried)
- 1½ tsp granulated sugar
- 1½ tsp white vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup cucumber, (diced unpeeled)
- Fresh dill or coriander sprigs
- In saucepan of boiling salted water, cover and cook beets until tender and skins slip off easily, about 25 minutes.
- Drain and let cool; slip off skins and cut into ¼-inch (5 mm) dice. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. (Beets can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.)
- In large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, ½ cup (125 mL) of the onions, sour cream, dill, sugar, vinegar and salt.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled or for up to 6 hours. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Ladle buttermilk mixture into serving bowls. Swirl in beets and cucumber.
- Garnish with remaining green onions and dill or coriander sprigs.