Beef Barley Soup II
- In a soup kettle, combine ribs, water, tomatoes, onion, salt if desired and pepper; bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat: cover and simmer for 1½ to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs; cool.
- Skim fat.
- Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; return to broth.
- Add carrots, celery and cabbage; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add barley; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and cook 10 – 15 minutes or until barley and vegetables are tender.
- Add parsley.