Beans and Rice
- Clean, rinse, and soak the beans or Peas in cold water for three or four hours or overnight. Drain.
- In a large cooking pot, combine the beans with enough cold water to cover them by two inches. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender (approximately one hour).
- Stir in rice.
- Season to taste.
- Cover and cook until rice is done and all liquid has been absorbed (about twenty minutes).
- Remove from heat and let stand uncovered for five minutes before serving.
- Fluff with a fork, serve hot, as a side dish, or with any dish that is accompanied by white rice.