Bean Soup with Meat Balls
- Combine the beans and half the water in a pot over moderate heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer partially covered for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and cook an additional 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the ground meat, cayenne, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- Roll the mixture into small ½-inch (1 cm) balls.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over moderate heat and saute the onion until it is lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the meatballs and brown on all sides.
- Stir in the remaining water and tomatoes and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Add the meatball mixture to the bean mixture.
- Stir in the dill and yogurt and heat until almost boiling.
- Serve immediately.
- ↑ Available in health food stores and Asian specialty shops.