Bean Soup Sabbatarian-style
This is a great soup, but it requires overnight prep for the beans. It's well worth the effort in the long run and will leave your stomach and taste buds feeling satisfied.
- 1 lb cranberry beans
- 1 smoked ox tongue or goose breast
- 1 onion chopped
- 2½ lbs beef bones
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp lard
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- pinch of tarragon
- Soak beans (pinto, red or speckled) overnight.
- Make stock with bones.
- Cook beans in stock.
- When beans are half cooked add smoked meat.
- Meanwhile sauté onions and garlic in lard and add to soup.
- When beans are done make roux with flour and lard.
- Add tarragon salt and pepper to roux and add to soup to thicken.
- Bring to boil and serve with csipetke.