- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 tbsp butter or margarine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb finely ground lamb or lean beef
- 1 tsp paprika
- pinch cinnamon
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- 5 eggs (or egg substitute equivalent)
- 1 package phyllo dough ( 1 lb)
- 2 cups cooking oil
- Sauté the onions in the butter or margarine, with pepper and salt.
- Cook on low to medium heat until the onions are light brown.
- Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the ground meat, pepper and salt, paprika, cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of mixed coriander leaves and parsley.
- Add the meat to the onions and fry until the meat is cooked, breaking the meat up with a fork.
- Add the rest of the parsley and coriander and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Beat 4 of the eggs.
- Stir into the meat and cook for 3 minutes or until the eggs are done.
- Beat the remaining egg in a bowl and set aside.
- Cut the phyllo dough into 3 inch strips.
- Place 1 teaspoon of the meat on the bottom of each strip.
- Roll the strips into rolls with the edges tucked in.
- Seal the rolls with the beaten egg spread over the edges and ends.
- Fry the rolls or bariwats in hot oil until they become golden brown.