Barger Estate Piccalilli
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Barger Estate in Mckinney, Texas in 1997. From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- 1 quart chopped green tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped sweet red peppers
- 1 cup chopped green peppers
- 1½ cups chopped white onions
- 5 cups chopped cabbage
- ⅓ cup salt
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole mixed pickling spice
- Combine vegetables and mix with salt.
- Let stand overnight.
- Drain and press in a clean, thin white cloth to remove all liquid possible.
- Combine vinegar, sugar and add spices tied in a bag.
- Bring to a boil then add vegetables and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove spice bag then pack into pint jars to within ½ inch of top and seal.
- Process for 5 minutes.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group