Barbados Rice and Stew
- Wash and cut Beef into bite sized pieces then rub with the Bajan Seasoning and tomato ketchup. Heat the oil in a skillet and stir-fry the meat for 10 minutes. Pour in the gravy browning and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the water, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the carrot and potatoes, adjust the seasonings with a little seasoned salt, and cook for another 15 minutes. Add a little more water if necessary. The meat should be tender after 45 minutes of cooking but if not go a while longer.
- Place the peas, salt pork and the thyme in a pan with 4 cups water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until Peas are tender.
- Wash and drain rice and add to the pan. Pour in enough water to just be level with the rice and Peas mixture. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to its lowest level, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until all the water has evaporated.
- Rice that has been soaked does not require a lot of liquid to cook and also the cooking time is reduced.