Banana Tres Leches
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Beat 3 egg whites until almost stiff.
- Sprinkle in ⅓ cup granulated sugar and ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract, beating until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Add confectioners' sugar and blend quickly and thoroughly by hand using a rubber spatula.
- Transfer meringue onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spread over parchment to a depth of about 1 to 1½ inches.
- Place in oven for about 1 hour or until meringue is dry.
- Break meringue into 1 inch chunks and set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs and 1 cup granulated sugar with electric mixer on high speed.
- Add ¼ cup water an continue beating until mixture is fluffy and pale yellow.
- Stir in flour mixture and blend by hand thoroughly and quickly.
- Pour mixture into a lightly greased 12 inch by 9 inch cake pan and tap firmly once or twice on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Immediately place pan in oven.
- Bake for 10 to 13 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- Remove cake and let cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the condensed milk, evaporated milk, ¾ cup heavy cream and liqueur.
- Using a toothpick, poke holes in cake and pour the milk mixture over the top.
- In a well chilled bowl, using chilled beaters, beat the heavy whipping cream and remaining extract until stiff peaks form.
- Cut cake into pieces with a 3 inch diameter cookie cutter.
- Put a scoop of whipped cream on top; garnish with chunks of meringue.
- Surround with slices of banana.