Baked Beans and Bacon
- Soak the beans overnight.
- Next day, preheat oven to 300˚F.
- Place the beans in a saucepan; cover with 1” of cold water and bring to a boil slowly.
- Lower heat and simmer for one hour or 1½ hours, until the beans are almost tender.
- In a frying pan, add half the butter.
- Slice the pork or bacon into six or eight pieces and fry them in the butter for three or four minutes, turning them over once or twice.
- Transfer the bacon pieces with fat to a deep casserole dish.
- Drain the beans, reserving the liquid.
- Pour the beans into the casserole and push the onion into the middle.
- Mix the molasses, remaining butter, salt, mustard powder and tomato ketchup with the bean liquid and pour over the beans.
- Cover the casserole dish and bake for two or three hours, adding more water if necessary.
- Remove the casserole cover for the last thirty minutes to brown the top.
- Allow to cool for five minutes, and serve.