Bak Kut Teh
- 1 lb 6 oz Beef/mutton sparerib (cut into bite-size pieces)
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic (bashed)
- 1 teaspoon preserved brown soya beans, pounded
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 piece of cinnamon bark (1 inch)
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 2 segments star anise
- 3 pints of boiling water
- some crispy Chinese crullers ("Yu-Char-Koay", sliced)
- 1 tablespoon crispy Shallots
1. Rub salt on spareribs.
2. Heat pan till very hot. Add 2 tablespoons of shortening. Fry spareribs till well-browned. Set aside for later use.
4. Let the consomme boil on high heat for 10 minutes. Then turn down the heat, let simmer for another 1.5 - 1.75 hours (or until the meat is tender). Discard excess oil from the surface before serving.
5. Serve hot with cruller slices.