Bahamian Peas and Rice
This is usually served as a side dish.
- ¼ lb salt pork, diced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 3 cup water
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ green pepper, seeded and
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- ¾ cup cooked pigeon peas, (black-eyed peas can be substituted)
- 2 cup uncooked white rice
- Fry the salt pork in a large skillet until the fat has been released, then add the vegetable oil.
- Add the onion and saute until translucent. Then add the green pepper, celery, thyme, and tomato paste.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the peas and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Transfer the pea mixture to a saucepan and add the water and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, add the rice, and stir.
- Reduce the heat when the water returns to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for about 25 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.