Azuki Bean Soup
- 1 cup azuki (adzuki) beans
- 5 cups water
- 1 strip dried tangerine peel or fresh orange peel
- ¼ cup canned lotus seeds
- ⅓ – ½ cup brown sugar, as desired
- Soak the azuki beans in water for several hours to soften them (it's easiest to soak them overnight).
- In a medium saucepan, bring the 5 cups of water with the tangerine peel to a boil.
- Turn the heat down, add the adzuki beans and lotus seeds and simmer, partially covered, for 1 to 1½ hours, until the beans are softened to the point where they are just beginning to break apart.
- Add the brown sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Taste and add more sugar if desired.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Use white instead of brown sugar.
- Other versions of this dish are made with longan seeds, lotus roots or lily bulbs.