Asian Tofu Cakes
- 1 Tbs. sesame seeds
- 1/5 oz. firm tofu, rinsed and drained
- 5 egg whites
- 1/3 cup all-purpose, whole-wheat flour
- 1 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 3 scallions (green part only), thinly sliced; reserve 1 tsp. for sauce
- 1/3 cup frozen Peas
- 1 Tbs. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil, more if needed
- 3 Tbs. soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil or chili oil
- 1/2 tsp. rice vinegar
1. In small skillet, toast sesame seeds until golden brown, stirring often, 1 minute. Transfer to small plate and set aside.
4. In large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons sesame oil.
5. Add about 1/4 cup tofu mixture per cake to skillet, flattening with back of spoon to form small cakes. Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.