Arroz de Coco
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup onions (chopped finely)
- 1 small green pepper (chop finely)
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ cups coconut milk (can be made by chopping 1½ cups coconut and add to 1½ cups hot water)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped finely)
- 2 tsp chilies (chopped finely)
- In a large skillet, heat the oil.
- Saute onions and green pepper for 5 minutes over moderate heat.
- Add rice and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk mixture, tomatoes and salt.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- When all liquid is absorbed, remove pan from heat and stir in chillies.
- Cover and let set at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.