Arroz con Pollo
- The pieces from one whole Chicken, or use your favorite pieces only
- 2 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pepper, diced
- 1 medium sized white Onion, diced
- 1 cup Spanish stuffed with pepper or onions
- Blend the ingredients included in (B) and use the mixture to baste the Chicken pieces. Allow to stand for at least thirty minutes.
- In a deep pan, heat two tablespoons of olive oil in medium heat. SautŽ the Chicken pieces for around three minutes, turning the pieces so that they cook uniformly. The trend in modern households is to remove the skins from the Chicken before cooking. I prefer to leave the skins on through this step, to add flavor, and then removing the skins.
- Add the ingredients included in (C) and saute for another two minutes. Add three cups of water and bring to a boil, increasing the temperature if necessary. Add a pinch of saffron.
- Bring the heat to medium and add the rice. Allow to cook uncovered until most of the water has been absorbed by the rice or evaporated. This normally takes about ten minutes.
- Carefully fold the rice with a ladle so that the rice from the bottom of the pan ends up on top and viceversa. It normally takes around four ladlefuls to go around the pan. Bring the heat to low and cover the pot.
- Allow to cook for about five minutes. Lift the lid and carefully sit the ingredients in (E) on top of the rice. Cover and continue to cook for another five minutes.
- When serving, use the ingredients sitting on top of the rice for garnish in the individual plates.