A fried plantain "bird's nest"
- 3 or 4 large green plantains
- Adobo or seasoning to taste (garlic salt, ground pepper, ground oregano)
- Peel the plantains. Discard the rinds.
- Grate using the largest blades in your manual grater or its equivalent in any of the mechanical grating devices. Leave the pieces as long as you possibly can.
- Season thoroughly, to taste
- Fry in very hot oil, a few pieces at a time. Don't worry if they all get tangled together and look like a bird's nest. That's part of the effect. Remove them when they are golden in color and set over paper towels to soak the frying oil.
- Use them as a side dish as a tasty substitute for French fries or serve them on their own as appetizers. Careful: they are very addictive!