Apricot Brandy Bread
This is more of a sweet cake than a bread.
- Contributed by Judy Garnet
- Yield: 1 loaf
- 1 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp apricot brandy
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ tsp cloves
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- Combine apricots and brandy; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- cream shortening; gradually add sugar and beating well.
- Add egg, and mix well.
- Combine one cup flour with baking soda, spices, and salt; set aside.
- Add pecans to apricot mixture; combine with reserved flour mixture.
- Toss well to coat all pieces with flour; set aside.
- Add remaining one cup flour to shortening/sugar mixture alternating with applesauce, (beginning and ending with flour mixture).
- Stir in reserved apricot mixture.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 5 x 3 loafpan; bake at 350°F for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool loaf in pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- May be frozen up to 3 months.
- May be wrapped in cheesecake and soaked with additional brandy and stored in a tin, if desired.