Applesauce Plum Bread
A River of Recipes: Native American Recipes Using Commodity Foods by the USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Can be frozen.
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup egg mix + 1 cup water (or 4 eggs)
- ½ can plums, drained (15½ ounce can)
- ½ can applesauce (15½ ounce can)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease bottoms only of 2 loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, beat oil, eggs, plums, and applesauce on low speed.
- Gradually add flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and baking powder to applesauce mixture.
- Beat all ingredients on low speed, scraping bowl constantly.
- Gently stir in raisins and walnuts. Pour into pans.
- Bake at 350°F until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes. Loosen sides of loaves from pans with knife; remove from pans. Cool completely before slicing.
- Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days or refrigerate up to 10 days.