If you follow the 1 tsp sugar per serving guideline of ADA, or try using part sugar / part artificial sweetener to cut down on calories. The original recipe is almost like cake.
- 16 big servings, 24 servings
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine oil, applesauce and cocoa.
- Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- mix dry ingredients together and stir into the mixture.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured (or wax paper lined and sprayed) 9 inch square pan.
- sprinkle on nuts (still tastes good if you forget).
- Bake about 20 to 30 minutes or until top is set but edges are not dried out.
- Toothpick will come out clean.
- Cut into 16 or more squares.
Per 1/16 recipe:
- 165 calories| 3 grams protein| 27 grams carbohydrate| 7 grams fat| 84mg sodium
- Exchanges: 1 starch | 1 fat | 1 fruit
Per 1/24 recipe
- 110 calories | 2 grams protein| 18 grams carbohydrate| 5 grams fat| 56mg sodium