Apple Cheddar Strudel with Pecans and Cinnamon
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Makes 10 servings
- ½ cup + 2 tbs chopped pecans
- ¾ cup plain breadcrumbs
- ¾ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup + 1 tbs light brown sugar
- 8 tbs butter
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into wedges
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- Heat oven to 350 °F.
- Spread pecans on baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned.
- Set aside ¼ cup + 2 tbs pecans, finely chop remaining pecans.
- In bowl, combine ¼ cup breadcrumbs with finely chopped pecans. Reserve.
- In 2nd bowl, combine cheese, ¼ cup sugar, remaining breadcrumbs and reserved ¼ cup pecans.
- Melt 2 tbs butter and add to cheese mixture. Toss mixture until combined, set aside.
- Melt 2 tbs butter in a skillet.
- Add apples and remaining sugar, cook until golden but slightly crisp.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon. Remove from heat, cool slightly. Stir in cheese mixture.
- Heat oven to 400 °F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place phyllo on work surface. Cover with wax paper, top with damp paper towels.
- Melt remaining butter.
- Place sheet of wax paper on work surface, top with 1 sheet phyllo, brush with butter, sprinkle with 1 tbs breadcrumb nut mixture.
- Repeat layering using all ingredients.
- Place apple mixture along 1 side of dough, leaving border.
- Fold ends and long side over filling towards center.
- Starting with filled long side, using wax paper to help, roll up strudel.
- Transfer to baking sheet placing seam side down. Brush with butter, Sprinkle with remaining pecans.
- Bake 15 min. or until golden==References==