- Soak the saffron in a small bowl in 1 tablespoon of the boiling water for at least 10 minutes.
- Wash the rice under cold running water until the water runs clear.
- Drain, then place it in a medium-sized bowl, cover with water and soak for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) cooking (25 minutes) bring a large saucepan of water to a boil.
- Add the rice, stir well, and boil rapidly for 5 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the oil in a large, flameproof casserole dish over medium heat.
- Add the cloves and cinnamon and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the potatoes and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle the mint and half of the ginger over the potato mixture.
- Spread half of the rice over the potato mixture.
- Place the yogurt, salt, saffron and saffron liquid in a small bowl.
- Combine well.
- Pour half of the yogurt mixture over the rice in the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining ginger, the cilantro and onion on top and cover with the remaining rice.
- Pour the remaining yogurt mixture over the rice.
- Pour the remaining boiling water down the side of the mixture.
- Cover and bake in the oven until the rice is tender and all of the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Loosen the edges of the cake from the casserole dish.
- Warm the serving plate.
- Put platter on top of casserole and turn the rice onto the plate.