Almond Rice Pudding with Apricot Glaze
Makes 6 servings.
- ½ cup uncooked rice
- 2½ cups milk
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 eggs, separated
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- ¼ cup blanched slivered almonds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup apricot preserves or glaze
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- Combine rice, milk and salt in medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer gently 40 to 50 minutes, or until thick and creamy, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter and ¼ cup sugar.
- Spoon rice into mixing bowl; cool.
- Beat yolks with cream until well blended.
- Stir into rice mixture.
- Add almonds, amaretto and vanilla.
- Beat egg whites until frothy, add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and beat until stiff but not dry.
- Fold into rice mixture.
- Pour into buttered 1½- to 2-quart baking dish; set in pan filled with 1 inch hot water.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes, or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Remove dish from water; allow to stand 15 minutes.
- Spoon pudding into serving dishes.
- Combine preserves and brandy in small saucepan; heat through.
- Pour over rice pudding.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries, whipped cream, and sliced almonds, if desired.