African Benne Wafers
- 1 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. If your sesame seeds are not toasted, place them on an ungreased baking sheet and toast for 10–12 minutes or until they turn light brown.
3. They may burn easily, so watch closely to prevent this from happening.
5. Drop cookie dough by half-teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheet. Make sure that at least 2 inches separate them; they spread A LOT.
6. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 5–6 minutes or until edges become light brown. They will appear a little puffy when you take them out.
7. Let them sit for 2–3 minutes.
8. They should be pretty flat.
9. Remove them to a wire rack and allow to cool (be careful—they're pretty crispy and crunchy!).
10. Store cooled cookies in an air-tight container.