- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees F)
- 2 cups lukewarm milk (scalded then cooled)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp shortening
- 1 tbsp salt
- 7-8 cups all purpose flour
- margarine or butter softened
Add yeast to warm water, dissolving. Combine milk, sugar, shortening, salt and 4 cups of flour, stirring. Beat for smooth consistency, add in flour so dough stays smooth. Dust flat surface with flour, knead dough for ~10 minutes on this space making it smooth and elastic. Grease bowl with some butter/oil. Roll into a ball and roll into the bowl, leaving the greasy side up, cover and leave for ~1 hour. Punch dough, then divide into halves. Roll each half into a rectangle shape, 18"x9". Fold the short side into thirds, overlap the ends, then roll tightly. Pinch off the ends and fold under. Grease two loaf pans with margaine and place loaves inside. (Seams down) Leave to rise ~1 hour. Place on low racks in 425 degree F heated oven. Bake until a deep golden brown colour, ~30 minutes. Remove from pans and onto cooling rack, brush tops with margarine.
- Taste of Home. Taste of Home. 1998. pp. 17. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Tasty-White-Bread.
- Crocker, Betty (1979). Betty Crocker's Cookbook New and Revised Edition. Golden Press/New York Western Publishing Company, Inc.. pp. 209. ISBN 78-52003.