Tarragon Orange Salad
Makes – 6 servings
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 dash tabasco sauce
- ½ teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 dash black pepper
- ⅔ cup tarragon vinegar
- ¾ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and dried
- 2 green onions, sliced
- ¼ cup almonds, slivered or flaked, toasted
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges in juice, drained
- First, make salad dressing; you can do this in advance.
- Combine sugar, tarragon, tabasco, pepper, egg yolks and mustard in food processor.
- With machine running, gradually add vinegar.
- Then, with machine still running, add oils in a thin stream.
- Process until well blended and creamy; taste and add salt if desired.
- Keep refrigerated.
- Should be enough dressing to make two or three salads; remember this when looking at nutritional analysis of this recipe.
- To make salad, tear cleaned romaine into bite sized pieces; place in large salad bowl along with sliced green onions.
- Toast almonds (i prefer flaked) and set aside until cool.
- Drain oranges well and place half in with lettuce and onions.
- Toss well with dressing (about ⅓ of the salad dressing recipe, or to your taste).
- Sprinkle top of salad with remaining oranges and the toasted almonds; serve.
- Leftover dressing keeps well in the fridge for about a week.