Spicy Southwestern Chowder
Makes 6 servings
- 2 slices Bacon, chopped
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots (about 2 medium)
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 16-ounce package frozen corn or one 17-ounce can corn, drained
- 6 large sourdough round rolls, hollowed out leaving 1/2-inch walls
- green onions for garnish
- Cook Bacon in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes stirring, until Bacon is crisp.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon fat.
- Add Onion, carrots, jalapenos, garlic, chili powder and cumin.
- Cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly until Onion is tender.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add milk, broth, rice and corn.
- Cook, stirring, 10 to 12 minutes until mixture boils.
- Cook 1 minute more; remove from heat.
- Ladle into bread rounds. Garnish with green onions.