- 2 cups orange Lentils
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1" piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground coriander seed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds, crushed
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup canned tomatoes, or fresh ones, peeled.
- Dissolve salt in enough boiling water to cover Lentils.
- Add Lentils and cook until tender. Drain and mash with potato masher.
- Heat oil in a skillet and fry oinions and garlic until onions are golden.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for a few minutes.
- Stir in lentils and heat until thick. Serve hot.