Soup Cream of Dried Beans
- 3 qts/3 l water
- 1/2 lb/250 g dried beans
- 1 carrot
- 1 parsley root
- 1 Onion
- 1bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- Chopped parsley
- cubed toasted bread
- Pick over and wash the beans and pre-soak in tepid water the preceding night.
- Then drain this water and set to boil in fresh tepid water.
- After boiling for a minute or two, change the water.
- Repeat this procedure three times.
- The last time, add, in addition to the beans, the Onion, carrot the bay leaf and parsley root.
- Let it boil, covered, at low temperature.
- When the beans are tender, remove the carrot and parsley root, strain, then sieve the beans with the Onion.
- Thin it with a little of the strained liquid.
- Set the soup to boil again, with a tablespoon of butter or oil and salt.
- After coming to a boil, add the chopped parsley. Serve with croutons.