Deep fried triangle shaped pastry dough stuffed with spicy, minced meat or mashed potato and peas (this recipe is vegetarian). Serve with tangy chutney.
- Boil potatoes, peel and slightly mash.
- Boil peas and cabbage and keep aside.
- In a non stick pan, heat oil and add chopped onions until light brown.
- Add ginger paste, coriander, mint, green chile and fry for one minute.
- Now, add salt and the boiled peas, cabbage and mashed potatoes and stir well.
- Let it cook for a minute, remove from heat and keep aside.
- Mix flour and salt.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter and add to the flour and salt mixture and mix well.
- Add a few tablespoons of water at a time, to the mixture and make into dough.
- The consistency of the dough is similar to that of chapati.
- Divide the dough into walnut sized balls and flatten each ball to form a circle.
- The size of each circle is roughly six inches in diameter.
- Divide the circle into two (half circles).
- Wet the edges of each half circle.
- Place sufficient amount of stuffing in the middle of the half circle and fold the corners in, so that, the end result looks like a stuffed triangle.
- Pinch the edges lightly, they should seal easily because they are wet.
- In a wide skillet, heat oil over medium-low.
- When oil is hot, deep fry the stuffed samosas until they become pale brown in color.
- Remove from skillet and keep aside.
- After frying all the samosas to a pale brown color, re-fry them, over medium heat, once again to a deep brown color.