Mediterranean-style Tomato Soup
Revision as of 14:40, 9 May 2012 by RealRecipes (Text replace - "Category:(.*) recipes" to "Category:$1 Recipes")
This recipe meets the requirements for the new soy protein health claim! Diets low in saturated fat and cholesterol that include 25 grams of soy protein per day may reduce the risk of heart disease. One serving provides 11 grams of soy protein.
- Recipe from United Soybean Board
- 3 cups textured soy protein (10 oz)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 quart vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 quart water
- 2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 2 tsp oregano leaves, dried, crumbled
- 1 tsp thyme leaves, dried, crumbled
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 2 quart diced tomatoes, canned
- 2 cups zucchini, diced (¾-inch)
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- ½ cup parsley, chopped, optional
- Saute Onion and garlic in oil until tender.
- Add broth, water, soy protein, brown rice and seasonings.
- Bring mixture to boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, zucchini and celery; return to boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Portion 12 ounces into large bowls; if desired.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon minced parsley over each serving.