About Lobster mushroom
Lobster mushroom, also called Hypomyces lactifluorum, got its name because of its red cap which was a white interior. Lobster mushrooms are produced by a parasite called Hypomyces which situates on normal mushrooms which turn into Hypomyces lactifluorum. The red crust on the cap is the stromatic sterile tissue of the parasite while the white interior is the flesh of the mushroom on which the parasite locates considered being basidiomycete mushroom. Lobster mushroom have a chewy, delicate texture and it is used in the international cuisine due to its mouthwatering taste and its interesting appearance. It is considered that lobster mushroom have such an incredible taste because of the parasite which forms the mushroom, and sometimes its taste is similar to seafood. Although lobster mushrooms are considered to be edible they have the potential to be poisonous, depending on the species of the host mushroom. However, the most commonly parasitized species belong to the non-poisonous Russula and Lactarius genera. Lobster mushrooms usually absorb the flavor of other foods which are being cooked along with it. Lobster mushroom is generally cooked with lobster because of their common characteristics.