Cowboy Cookie Mix
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Yield: About 3½ dozen
- 1⅓ cups quick cooking oats
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup (6 ounce) semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- Pour oats into a wide-mouth 1-quart jar or glass container with a tight fitting lid.
- Combine the flour, baking powder,baking soda and salt; place on top of oats.
- Layer with the pecans, chocolate chips, brown sugar and sugar, packing each layer tightly (to pack i use a skinny plastic glass with cellophane on it) but do not mix.
- Cover and store in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. (if there is space left at the top — there should not be much — you can use cellophane to crunch up and put on top. I used the colored cellophane for the holidays)
- Pour cookie mix into a large mixing bowl;stir to combine ingredients.
- Beat in the butter, egg, and vanilla.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll into 1-inch balls.
- Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350°F for 11 to 13 minutes or until set.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
Decorate jars with raffia, I punch hole in directions and put raffia through it and tie to jar or container. Decorative jars and bottles that many products are sold in can be reused for this and also come in handy in the kitchen after it's empty.