Chicken Koftas with Mint Yoghurt
- 750 g minced chicken
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp fresh chopped mint
- 10 ml / 2 tsp of fresh grated ginger
- 5 ml / 1 tsp of ground coriander
- 2.5 ml / ½ tsp garam masala
- 5 ml / 1 tsp of hot chilli powder
- 60 ml of natural yoghurt
- 3 tbsp of ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 onions sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2.5 ml / ½ tsp of cardamom
- 5 ml / 1 tsp of garam masala
- 5 ml / 1 tsp of turmeric
- 5 ml / 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp of tomato purée
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 2 small aubergines, chopped
- 2 chillies, chopped
- 250 ml of chicken stock
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp or coriander leaves
To finish the dish
- Mix the chicken mince, mint, ginger, coriander, garam masala, chilli powder and yoghurt together in a bowl.
- Shape the mix into ovals or sausage shapes.
- If too moist and it does not hold its shape, add a little flour.
- Place the koftas on a tray and refrigerate.
- Heat ½ the ghee in a large pan and cook the koftas until browned all over.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- Heat the remaining ghee in the same pan and cook the onions, garlic, cardamom, garam masala, turmeric, and cumin.
- Stirring until the onions are lightly browned.
- Add the tomato purée, tomatoes, aubergine and chillies, cook with a lid for a further 15 – 20 minutes then remove the lid and add the koftas and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, mix together the mint and yoghurt, spoon the koftas into a bowl and top with mint yoghurt, serve with rice.