- 2 cups fat-free vegetable stock
- 1 cup quick-cooking rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil, or more as needed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cubed
- 1 cup cubed celery
- 5 oz vegan bacon, diced
- 9 oz vegan meatballs
- Cajun or Creole seasoning mixture to taste
- hot pepper sauce to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Place stock in large saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add rice, reduce heat to low and cook according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, and sauté onion, peppers and celery for 7 to 10 minutes, or until wilted, fragrant and slightly golden.
- Remove from skillet, and set aside.
- With oil remaining in skillet, cook "bacon" and "meatballs", adding more oil as needed.
- Sauté 5 or 6 minutes, and remove from heat.
- When rice is cooked and all liquid absorbed, add vegetables, bacon, meatballs, Cajun seasoning, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper to rice, stirring until well combined.
- Continue to cook 5 minutes more, and serve.