Cajun-style Chicken Stew
- ¼ cup salad oil
- ⅛ tsp hot pepper sauce
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 large onion, diced
- ½ cup okra
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- ½ cup whole-kernel corn
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 x 28 oz can tomatoes
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- In 12-inch skillet over medium heat, stir flour into hot salad oil; cook, stirring constantly, until flour is dark brown but not burned.
- Add onion, celery, and green pepper; cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually stir in tomatoes with their liquid, sugar, salt, andhot pepper sauce until blended, stirring until boiling.
- Reduce heat to low; and simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- To mixture in skillet, add okra, corn, and chicken; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes until vegetables are tender, stirring mixture occasionally.
- Serve over warm rice.