Apricot-Barbecued Ham with Rice
Makes 6 servings
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into ½-inch squares
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1½ tablespoons flour
- 1 12-ounce can apricot nectar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- ¼ cup catsup
- ¼ cup apricot preserves
- ¼ teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 12 ounces cooked ham, cut into ¾-inch cubes (2½ cups)
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- Cook onion, green pepper and celery in butter until tender but not brown.
- Blend in flour.
- Add apricot nectar, mustard, vinegar, catsup, preserves and pepper.
- Cook, stirring, until thick and smooth.
- Add ham and simmer 5 minutes to heat through.
- Serve over fluffy rice.