Alexandra Soupis a healthy and warming meal.
- 1 cup (240 mL) lentils
- 2 heaped tablespoons (30 mL) barley
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cups (720 mL) water
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Soak the lentils and barley together overnight (optional). Drain.
- Fry the onion in the butter until soft.
- Add the lentils, barley and water.
- Cook until the lentils are tender, (will take longer if grains are not soaked).
- Add the tomatoes when the soup is almost ready.
- Purée with a food mill, blender, or food processor.
- Reheat and adjust the seasoning.