Fruit & Vegetable Recipes II by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 5 cups watermelon; seeded and cubed
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- ¼ cup water
- 12 oz evaporated skim milk
- Combine first 3 ingredients; cover and chill 30 minutes.
- Place watermelon mixture in container of an electric blender or food processor.
- Top with cover, and process until smooth; set aside.
- Sprinkle gelatin over water in a small saucepan; let stand 1 minute.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until gelatin dissolves; remove from heat.
- Combine watermelon mixture, gelatin and milk.
- Pour into freezer container of a 5-quart hand-turned or electric freezer.
- Freeze mixture according to manufacturer's instructions.