Warm Cabbage Salad with Bacon and Roquefort
This is a quick and easy to prepare salad.
- 4 oz thick-sliced bacon, cut crosswise into ¾-inch pieces
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 small shallot, finely minced
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 3 cups green cabbage, finely sliced
- 3 cups red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ½ cup crumbled Roquefort
- In a skillet, cook bacon over moderate heat. Season with ground pepper. Cook until crisp.
- Drain and remove excess oil by placing cooked bacon on absorbent paper.
- In a saucepan, put wine and shallots. Simmer until reduced to a thick syrup.
- Whisk in cream, mustard, salt and pepper. Continue to simmer until thickened.
- Cook green cabbage for 2 minutes over moderately high heat in the skillet where bacon was cooked.
- Place green cabbage in a bowl.
- Cook red cabbage in the same skillet for 2 minutes.
- Add in green cabbage and vinegar. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in cream mixture and cook until cabbage is crisp-tender.
- Serve topped with bacon and crumbled Roquefort.