Venezuelan Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1 qt Half-and-half
- 1 x vanilla bean, seeds of
- 2 x cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp Whole cloves
- 1 tbl Whole star anise
- 1 pch saffron powder (optional)
- 10 x egg yolks
- 1 cup Sugar
- 12 oz Extra-bitter chocolate, melted
- 1 tsp rose water
- Place half-and-half, vanilla seeds, cinnamon sticks, cloves, star anise, and saffron in a medium saucepan and heat until just scalded.
- Set aside to cool for 1/2 hour.
- Gradually add cooled half-and-half mixture to egg-and-Sugar mixture, whisking continuously.
- Then pour back into saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until mixture thickens.
- Immediately strain into the melted chocolate and whisk well.
- Add rose water and chill.