Ukrainian Cornmeal Stuffing (Nachynka)
Nachynka in Ukrainian literally means stuffing. This dish is usually not stuffed inside anything, but served as a side dish.
- ½ cup (125 ml) butter
- 1 cup (250 ml) cornmeal
- 3 cups (750 ml) homogenized milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp (15 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (7 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (15 ml) baking powder
- butter to grease casserole dish
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Melt butter in a pot on medium heat.
- Add cornmeal. Stir mixture to warm up the cornmeal.
- Add milk. Stir until mixture has thickened.
- Beat eggs. Beat in salt, sugar, and baking powder.
- Slowly add some of the thickened cornmeal mixture to the egg mixture while mixing to temper the eggs.
- Stir the egg mixture into the rest of the cornmeal.
- Pour the mixture into a greased casserole dish
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 30 minutes or until the top has browned
Notes, tips, and variations
- While you are thickening the cornmeal mixture, you have enough time to beat the eggs
- Doubling the recipe will yield enough to fill a 2 litre casserole dish
For different flavour variations:
- Mix in a ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Chop up a small onion and cook till tender in the butter, before adding cornmeal.
- Do not add the egg mixture to the cornmeal. Some of the eggs will cook on impact resulting in streaks of cooked eggs and a heavier Nachynka