Thanksgiving No Turkey "Turkey"
Thanksgiving 'No-Turkey' Turkey from Recipes Wiki—original source of recipe, licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License
- Prep time: 60 to 75 minutes to bake
- 2 lbs whole grain bread
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 2 carrot
- 2 celery stalk
- 1 large onion
- fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ cup parsley
- 1 tsp sage
- ½ cup Egg Beaters real egg product
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 lbs chicken flavored seitan
- 1 cup Brown Gravy
- 1 pack sheet frozen puff pastry
- Break bread into 1-inch chunks. Dry in a large bowl, uncovered, for at least 8 hours.
- Melt margarine in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add carrot, celery and onion; saute, stirring frequently, until lightly browned.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl; cool to lukewarm.
- Add pepper, bread cubes, parsley, sage, egg substitute, or egg Replacer, and broth or water.
- Toss to combine; set aside at least 30 minutes to allow liquids to soak into bread.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with heavy-duty foil; spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Brush seitan with gravy on both sides; arrange overlapping slices on foil in a row, mounding in center.
- Press stuffing mixture around seitan to cover completely.
- Wet hands lightly, and press into a neat oval.
- Roll pastry sheets out to 1/16-inch thickness; arrange, overlapping slightly, to make a large rectangle.
- Seal edges with dabs of cold water.
- Drape pastry over mound; trim excess away around bottom.
- Use scraps to cut out decorative shapes (leaves, apples, etc.).
- Attach with dabs of cold water.
- For a shiny crust, brush pastry lightly with skim milk or soymilk.
- Bake 1 to 1¼ hours, covering pastry with foil if it browns too much.
- Transfer "turkey" to a platter.
- To serve, cut straight down through pastry, stuffing and seitan to make neat ¾-inch slices.
- Spoon gravy over each serving.